Saturday 20 June 2009

Sammy Goes Retro! UK & US Pop Hits '73 - '75


  1. Billy Preston - Will It Go Round In Circles ( US # 1 )
  2. David Bowie - The Jean Genie ( UK # 2 )
  3. Brownsville Station - Smokin' In The Boys Room ( US # 3 )
  4. Susan Cadogan - Hurt So Good ( UK # 4 )
  5. Ben E King - Supernatural Thing ( US # 5 )
  6. Esther Phillips - What A Difference A Day Makes ( UK # 6 )
  7. Al Green - Sha La La ( Make Me Happy ) ( US # 7 )
  8. Cockney Rebel - Mr Soft ( UK # 8 )
  9. Rufus & Chaka Khan - You Got The Love ( US # 9 )
  10. Roxy Music - Pyjamarama ( UK # 10 )
  11. Gwen McCrae - Rockin' Chair ( Brother, Brother ) ( US # 11 )
  12. Mott The Hoople - Honaloochie Boogie ( UK # 12 )
  13. King Harvest - Dancing In The Moonlight ( US # 13 )
  14. Gilbert O'Sullivan - I Don't Love You But I Think I Like You ( UK # 14 )
  15. The Four Tops - Are You Man Enough ( US # 15 )
  16. Isley Brothers - Summer Breeze ( UK # 16 )
  17. Ambrosia - Holdin' On To Yesterday ( US # 17 )
  18. Roy Wood - Dear Elaine ( UK # 18 )
  19. Gregg Allman - Midnight Rider ( US # 19 )
  20. The Who - 5:15 ( UK # 20 )

I've always been an admirer of RetroJoe's obsession with chart positions, on both sides of the pond, and his dedication to the cause. A few weeks ago I approached him with the idea of doing an alternating DJ mix with a slight difference - he would pick a Number One single from the billboard chart, I'd return with a track from the UK singles chart that peaked at No2, and so on and so forth...

Joe came back with the idea of sticking to the time period 1973-1975. Knowing there is good music everywhere if you look hard enough, I duly agreed. The next restriction placed upon the mix was that each track must have faired at least 20 places worse in the opposing country. This made things trickier; indeed one of my choices because of this rule, was a track I'd never heard before (tk14). Having said all this, the mix turned out better than I'd expected, here is the result. Thanks to Joe for the Journey, he'll be posting the 'mirror mix' at pretty much the same time I hope... Enjoy!

Link

No comments: