Saturday 20 June 2009

Pandora's Groove Box


  1. Al Green - Here I Am
  2. Angie Stone - U-Haul
  3. The O'Jays - Backstabbers
  4. Ike & Tina Turner - I Can't Believe What You Say
  5. Marvin Gaye - Baby Don't You Do It
  6. Irma Thomas - Hittin' on Nothin'
  7. Benny Sings - We'll Make Lovesongs
  8. Todd Rundgren - Mighty Love
  9. Isaac Hayes - Shaft
  10. Sam Cooke - Wonderful World
  11. Little Milton - That's What Love'll Make You Do
  12. Otis Redding - That's How Strong My Love Is
  13. Aretha Franklin - You Send Me
  14. The Righteous Brothers - You're My Soul and Inspiration
  15. Sugar Simone - I Want To Know
  16. The Chi-Lites - Have You Seen Her
  17. The 5th Dimension - Stoned Soul Picnic
  18. Xscape - In The Rain
  19. Deetah - Relax
  20. Chocolate Genius - Love
  21. Prince - Pop Life
  22. Huck Daniels - Foolish Man
  23. The Meters - Cabbage Alley
  24. William Bell - I Forgot To Be Your Lover

When sammyg123 and avocado rabbit made their first mix together, the finished product was woefully lacking in the affirmative action, equal opportunity department. It was too damn white, we said. So the two intrepid mixers agreed to do a follow-up mix with songs that would probably be classified as rhythm and blues, a category near and dear to my heart.

Of course, just because a song has soul doesn’t mean it has to be sung by black singers just as the President of the United States doesn’t necessarily have to be a white person, so I slipped in tunes by Todd Rundgren (a cover) and The Righteous Brothers.

No comments: