Saturday 30 January 2010

Keep Your Mind Open


  1. Elvis Costello - Radio Radio
  2. Morrissey - Sister I'm A Poet
  3. David Bowie - Andy Warhol
  4. Rolling Stones - Happy
  5. The Byrds - Lazy Days
  6. Zoot - Mr. Songwriter
  7. The Flamin' Groovies - Slow Death
  8. The Temptations - My Girl
  9. Sly Stone - Honest
  10. Buddy Holly - Brown Eyed Handsome Man
  11. Kaleidoscope - Keep Your Mind Open
  12. The Week That Was - Learn To Learn
  13. X - Los Angeles
  14. Holly Golightly - Tell Me Now So I Know
  15. XTC - Red
  16. The Clique - Superman
  17. Hopper - Malcolm
  18. Fred Hughes - Don't Let Me Down
  19. Arielle Dombasle - Rhum and Coca Cola
  20. Friends Of Sound - Chocolate Cake
  21. The Divine Comedy - Lucy
  22. Nancy & Frank Sinatra - Somethin Stupid
  23. Pepe Deluxe - Lying Peacefully
  24. The Beatles - I'm So Tired
  25. Audrey Hepburn - Moon River

My submission for the January Mixathon over at ZerO. This time the theme is based on the Proust Questionnaire. You can find the full list here.

I decided to omit a few questions and re-jig the running order to make the mix flow better. I also asked for help from my long term fiancee when answering the questions. Hope you enjoy reading the answers and possibly hearing the subsequent mix.

1. Your favourite occupation.

Ideally I want to listen to music all day every day without interruption. Well, hardly any let's say. I thought about maybe a music journalist but really it would be a Radio DJ. One day I'll regret not trying to get into this as a career, maybe it's not too late (I'm 33) but for a while now I believe this particular ship may have sailed..

2. Your favourite poet.

I'm not particularly interested in poetry. Not saying I don't see the appeal. It's just....
I don't know. Morrissey is regarded as a poet isn't he? I'll pick him.

3. Your favourite painter.

Andy Warhol.

4. Your favourite qualities in a person.

A good sense of humour or someone with a positive outlook on life. The track I've chosen here is 'Happy' by the Stones.

5. Your main fault.

My laziness, without a shadow of a doubt. I'm so lazy I can't even be bothered finishing this sen

6. The natural talent I'd like to be gifted with.

As someone who listens to music an awful lot, it may surprise a few that I've never had any inclination to learn an instrument. Maybe see the last answer for reasons why. However I'd love to be a fantastic/prolific songwriter. There's no point in trying though, I know I'm not..

7. Your Idea of misery.

A long slow death. Please make it be quick and painless. And a long long time from now..

8. Your idea of happiness.

My daughter. She's happy. She makes me happy.

9. Your favourite virtue.

Honesty. Both in myself and others. Am I an honest person. Yes, I am. Honest...

10. If not yourself, who would you be.

Can I be myself again but 17 years ago? With what I know now but the way I looked then?
I can? Great!
But whatever choice I make different to the first time can I guarantee that I will find myself in exactly the position I'm in right now, 17 years later ?
No? I'll leave it then..

11. Your favourite motto.

Keep your mind open. It's a big world out there and everyone is different. Give everyone a chance. They may well blow it but c'est la vie..

12. Your chief characteristic.

I consulted my partner about this one. She stated my main characteristics are that I like to learn and that I'm quite selfish.
She's right! I do like to learn..

13. Where would you like to live.

Somewhere warm with lots going on.

14. Your favourite heroines in fiction.

Although not one of my favourite Audrey Hepburn films, I've gone for Holly Golightly from 'Breakfast at Tiffany's'. She is wonderful.

15. Your favourite colour and flower.

My favourite colour is Red. I don't have a favourite flower.

16. Your favourite heroes in fiction.

Superman. I was obsessed with him as a youngster. And although I have the box set of all the films should any (of the first 3) be shown on TV I'll have to stop what I'm doing and watch..

17. What I hate the most.

Hate is a strong emotion. I hate few people. One person I do hate though (for reasons I won't go into here as it's a music site and not a sports, or indeed financial site) is Malcolm Glazer.
Bastard.

18. What you appreciate the most in your friends.

I'm lucky, I have a few circles of friends, and within each any of them can be out of touch for weeks, months, years. But the minute we catch up again it's like they've never been away.
I also appreciate loyalty. We can fall out (usually under the influence of alcohol) but it'll be forgotten as quickly as you can remember exactly what it is that you're trying forget(?!)

19 & 20. Favourite food and drink.

Coca cola. It's an addiction. And it's bad for your waistline. And your teeth. I've got the dentist on speed dial.
Though I must stress my teeth aren't anywhere near as bad as Austin Powers'. That of course is an American stereotype of the English. And wildly inaccurate. On the whole..

21. Your favourite names.

My favourite name is Lucy. Such a pretty name. It was never really considered as a name for my daughter though, as Lucy Gandy doesn't look or sound right. Shame.

22. For what fault have you most toleration.

Stupidity. Many, many people are stupid. It's not their fault..

23. How I wish to die.

Lying peacefully. Asleep, at an old age. Aware for sometime that the end is near, yet not suffering too much. At the age of 112. Or by a Unicorn like derhay suggested..

24. What is your present state of mind.

Tired. This questionnaire is bloody long.

25. Your favourite heroines in real life.

Ms Hepburn again.

26. Your favourite heroes in real life.

I've picked just one. One who stands head and shoulders above the rest in the long line of Sammy's Heroes.

His name? Eric. (see cover art)


No comments: