Wednesday 13 August 2008

Big Star : Covered


And while I'm having a little dalliance with covers, here's a mix of Big Star cover versions. Two artists are featured twice on this mix, I wanted to host as many different songs. You know, rather than just give you twenty versions of 'Thirteen' or 'El Goodo'.


Some fairly decent takes on here, none of them come close to emulating the originals. However it would take an extraordinarily poor band to tarnish these wonderful songs. You may disagree...



  1. Gentle Readers - Back of a Car
  2. The Posies - Feel
  3. Giftshop & Susan And Brandee - Give Me Another Chance
  4. Matthew Sweet - The Ballad of el Goodo
  5. This Mortal Coil - You & Your Sister
  6. Bangles - September Gurls
  7. Wilco - Thirteen
  8. Skywriter - I'm in Love With a Girl
  9. Idle Wilds - You Get What You Deserve
  10. Yo La Tengo - Take Care
  11. Baby Steps - When My Baby's Beside Me
  12. Champale - Stroke It Noel
  13. Cheap Trick - That 70's Song (In the Street)
  14. Matt Devine - My Life Is Right
  15. Fooled By April - Oh Dana
  16. Grand Champeen - Daisy Glaze
  17. Juliana Hatfield - Don't Lie to Me
  18. Teenage Fanclub - Jesus Christ
  19. The Posies - What's Going Ahn
  20. The Afghan Whigs - Nightime
  21. This Mortal Coil - Kangaroo
  22. Son Volt - Holocaust

Many thanks to Dead Man for a large chunk of these hard to find tracks.

Link

4 comments:

buglady said...

Wow, cool idea for a covers mix! Love all the songs, though I'm not familiar with most of the versions here... and I must admit I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea of This Mortal Coil doing Big Star covers (but I'm sure they're great!).

Doowad said...

You should check out David Lebón's first album (self-titled). A couple tracks there sound like Argentine Big Star.

that.turtle said...

Great stuff Sammy. I love, love, love (love) This Mortal Coil's version of "You and Your Sister." May be my favorite Big Star song.

Dead Man said...

Great idea. Glad to help out.