Saturday 29 May 2010

FrankenZero


  1. Mercury Rev - Endlessly
  2. The Pixies - Where Is My Mind
  3. The High Llamas - Up In The Hills
  4. Brian Eno - St Elmo's Fire
  5. Goldie Hawn - Pasadena
  6. Fox - S-S-Single Bed
  7. The Kinks - Waterloo Sunset
  8. The Faces - Ooh La La
  9. Spearmint - A Trip Into Space
  10. They Might Be Giants - Youth Culture Killed My Dog
  11. Dexy's Midnight Runner - One Of Those Things
  12. The Kingsmen - Louie Louie
  13. Hefner - The Day That Thatcher Dies
  14. The Petals - A Place In The Shade
  15. Clint Boon Experience - Not Enough Purple, Too Much Grey
  16. The Crooner - A Warm Day In June
  17. Sufjan Stevens - Chicago
  18. Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time
  19. Elliot Smith - Ballad Of Big Nothing
  20. Erik Satie - Gymnopedie 1
My submission for the May Mixathon on Zen Running Order. The categories were made up by members of the community including myself (who chose number 9).

1. A song that gives you the chills / heebie jeebies every time you hear it
Every time I hear this beautiful song it reminds me of winter as a young boy. Snow storms, branches hitting my bedroom window in the wind. It sends a shiver up my spine.

2. Favourite use of a song in a film
Lots of good shouts on other mixes I've seen over the weekend, including Perfect Day from Trainspotting, In Dreams from Blue Velvet to name but two. I thought of the piano interlude of Layla as used in Goodfellas. Then I remembered the astonishing scene at the end of Fight Club, and my mind was made up..

3. Favourite instrumental
Not strictly an instrumental as it uses ba-ba-ba's all the way through. But it's a song I love so much and it fit well on the mix.

4. Favourite song about fire or burning
There's a lot, and I may have forgotten a few, but I thought I'd use this song that first appears on The Wonder Years 1975 mix.

5. Favourite song by someone principally known as an actor
If I had a time machine and I could go back in time and sleep with anyone of my choice (I know, I'm not asking much) it'd be Goldie Hawn circa 1968. A more beautiful woman I have never seen..

6. A song from the year of your birth
Fox - S-S-Single Bed was number one in Australia the day I was born! Those Aussie's have great taste!

7. A song you wish you had written
A toss up between this and God Only Knows. Wavy Gravy went for that so I've gone for the majestic Waterloo Sunset.

8. Favourite non-love related song that you would undoubtedly put on a mixtape for a crush / loved one
The lyrics are so.... right!

9. A song in Space
This song is so infectious. Probably my favourite song of the 1990s

10. Song with a really clever title
I couldn't think past Zappa, Beefheart, Half Man Half Biscuit or They Might Be Giants for this category. This track fit well into the mix, so it went in..

11. A song that uses elements of another song without directly sampling the piece of music
Kevin Rowland originally claimed the riff of this song was not a sample of Zevon's Werewolves of London and any similarity was purely coincidental. Unfortunately Warren Zevon's lawyers and anyone else with 2 ears disagreed.

12. A song that makes no sense to you
I know, I know, it's not meant to..

13. A song about a political figure
A chorus of schoolchildren all singing 'ding dong the witch is dead' at the end never fails to make me smile..

14. A track by an artist you learned about from another ZerO mixer.
Where do I start, I've made 3 mixes solely devoted to this category, with a fourth on its way.
The inclusion of The Petals track is simply because I listened to Valis' 'The Longest Drink' mix a few days ago as the sun was beating down..

15. A song with a colour in the title
This has two colours in the title. And must be the first time the Inspiral Carpets organist gets a solo song put on ZerO..

16. A favourite song from a past mix you've posted
This is a great song that more than deserves a second outing. And it's almost June.

17. A song with a country / city in the title
I can't quite believe I've never used this track on a mix before.

18. A song you wish was written before / about you
Just a beautiful song.

19. A WTF moment, a song that stopped you in your tracks and really made you listen
Another beautiful song. I find his voice mesmerising..

20. A song for your funeral
You may think this is harsh. But I don't want my funeral to be a celebration of my life. I want tears, lots of them. And with Satie's Gymnopdie playing in the background there won't be a dry eye in the house.
I'm only half joking when I say this ;)

No comments: