Saturday 30 October 2010

Combien de temps?


  1. The Beatles - Norwegian Wood ( This Bird Has Flown )
  2. Love - You Set The Scene
  3. The Zombies - This Will Be Our Year
  4. The Rolling Stones - Tumbling Dice
  5. David Bowie - Rock 'N' Roll Suicide
  6. Roxy Music - In Every Dream Home A Heartache
  7. Television - Venus
  8. Talking Heads - Air
  9. R.E.M - Talk About The Passion
  10. Dexy's Midnight Runners - This Is What She's Like
  11. The Smiths - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
  12. Primal Scream - Higher Than The Sun
  13. My Bloody Valentine - When You Sleep
  14. The Boo Radleys - I've Lost The Reason
  15. Suede - Still Life

My 15 albums are sequenced in chronological order. Although obviously for someone born in the mid 70’s this is not the order I discovered them in..

The Beatles - Rubber Soul

Well, where do I start? How about by stating that if I was to be completely honest 5 Beatles albums would make my 15, this along with Abbey Road, Pepper, Revolver and The White Album. I grew up with music seemingly all around me Abba, Duran Duran and Spandau Ballet on the Radio. The Platters, The Inkspots and Slim Whitman at my Grandparents. And my mothers quite wonderful record collection. Traffic, Spencer Davis Group, Scott Walker, Moody Blues, numerous 45s, and everything that the Beatles released. They are without doubt my favourite band, and while others have come close, namely the Stones and The Smiths during my teenage years, they will remain my favourites till the day I die.

Oh, so why Rubber Soul? Well, you’ve heard it, right? There’s your answer..

Love - Forever Changes

This wasn’t in my mothers collection. I don’t remember why I bought it. Can only assume I’d read a glowing review in a magazine. I bought this around 1997, so it was probably a 30 year celebration article. Upon listening for the first time I was astonished that an album so good could have sold so few copies. An absolute masterpiece. The track I’ve chosen for the mix is the longest on the album. Not for the last time on this mix.

The Zombies - Odessey And Oracle

British Newspaper ‘The Guardian’ once produced a list of ‘The Top 100 Albums That Don’t Appear In All The Other Top 100 Albums Of All Time list’ which was a great idea. This album came 77th. I was quite late to this one, about 24 years old. A female friend I shared a house with at the time had it on CD. I borrowed it from her, put it on the stereo and was completely blown away. By the production, the melodies, the quite morose lyrics. Did she ever get it back? Well of course she did. I bought my own copy the very next day.

The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street

I thought of myself as a huge Stones fan whilst in college. But really, in retrospect I only owned the Hot Rocks compilation. But it was so good, so perfect, that surely all of the good songs they ever recorded were gathered on there right? Hearing the first 30 seconds of ‘Rocks Off’ made me realise what a fool I’d been for thinking such a thing…

David Bowie - The Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars

Again, I initially only owned Changesbowie. I suppose I may as well admit that all of these classic albums were discovered after purchasing ‘Best Of’ compilations of all these well regarded artists. But I guess I’m not alone there am I?

Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure

I mentioned during a comment on Salman’s mix the other day that I worked on Community Radio during my teenage years. Well the community were all in hospital at the time. As was the studio. Yes, it was hospital radio. For 4 years I did two 3 hour shows a week and i loved it. The studio contained thousands of records all donated by the good folk of my hometown. Whilst most of the other ‘deejays’ at the station were playing golden oldies such as Perry Como and Val Doonican I fancied myself as a bit of a John Peel and would play all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff that wouldn’t help the patients recovery process. I’m sure nobody ever listened to my show. Can’t say I’m too concerned, I had a riot!

What’s this got to do with Roxy Music? Well, I think I remember sifting through the record library and seeing this and liking the cover. Or was it Country Life?

Television - Marquee Moon

Just a stunning album. Also the title track at 10.41 was a length for me to lock up the studio and pop outside for a cigarette. I used to play this along with Blue Monday by New Order quite often during my Radio shows..

Talking Heads - Fear Of Music

I’ve always been a fan of musical stats and lists. I remember a particular issue of the now defunct British magazine Melody Maker where it listed the magazines Number One album of each year since it was first published. I noticed that Talking Heads had managed to take the crown in both 1979 and 1980. Being quite impressed by this feat I purchased this and 1980’s ‘Remain In Light’ and quickly became a huge fan.

R.E.M - Murmur

I’m cheating here. It really should be Automatic For The People.

I was aware of R.E.M. Shiny Happy people was nice enough and Losing My Religion was all over the radio. I went on a family holiday to the U.S.A aged 16. My walkman hardly left my ear during the whole stay. I couldn’t get over the prices of things ( compared to England everything in the states is dirt cheap ). I saw a copy of ‘Automatic’ on cassette in a K-Mart. I still remember the price, it was $5.88. I’m not sure if any album before or since has changed my life so much before or since. It was such a perfect album. I listened to it constantly all day, and that night went to bed with some excitement, as I’d convinced myself the next day I was going to the mall to buy every album they had ever made. And I did.

Of all R.E.Ms albums, and I’ve listened to each one a good 50 times ( well, not the post New Adventures in Hi-Fi ones ) Murmur is the one that has stayed with me, and now 18 years later, is the one of theirs I do not hesitate to place in lists such as these..

Dexy’s Midnight Runners - Don’t Stand Me Down

One of my all time favourite bands. I bought their first two albums in my early teenage years. But their third was quite elusive. I searched for it in the record shops of London and my City, Manchester. But it just didn’t seem to be available anywhere. In my hometown of Urmston there was a small bookshop called ‘Bookmark’. How it managed to stay open for as long as it did I will never know. It was so god damn expensive. I rarely went in but every now and then i’d brave the ridiculously narrow spiral staircase that took you up to the first floor. They had a small selection of records and cds there. But again, they couldn’t compete with the big high street chain stores.

One day though, I fancied a browse. And whilst browsing it was there. On CD for a bargain 5 pounds. Tower Records in London didn’t have it. HMV in Manchester; not in stock. But Bookmark, Urmston? Result!

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead

I was already a huge fan of The Smiths at this point. I was not your typical teenage Smiths fan, though. I rarely sat in my bedroom wondering when it was all going to end. I wasn’t clumsy. Or shy. And I did pretty well with the girls thank you very much.

Primal Scream - Screamadelica

It’s The Primals and it’s Sctreamadelica nuff said!!

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

OK, i’ll try and make this brief.

It was October 1991 and we were all sitting our mock exams in the large cold assembly hall. It probably wasn’t cold at all, but the memory plays tricks on you. During the last few minutes of one exam our headmaster was pacing up and down at the top of the room. Once we had finished our exam he proceeded to inform us, with some anxiety on his face, that one of my classmates had sadly died that afternoon. I‘d seen her the day before and she was fine, but that morning she had been complaining that she felt unwell..

My best mate Kevin who had recently had a small fling with her asked if he could come back to mine after hearing the shock news. We got home and I put an album on that I’d bought very recently. An album that I will now forever associate with Alice.

The Boo Radleys - Giant Steps

One year before the britpop scene was about to explode and I’d left school and found some work DJing around the area. I was working for an agent and, yes, he took the lions share. But he’d give me £40 a night and would guarantee at least three nights a week. I had money! Problem was, there wasn’t much music around that I particularly liked. At this stage I’m 17 and own best of compilations by anyone who is anyone, but it’ll be a good 3 or 4 years ( before I start working in a record shop ) that I would look into these artists back catalogue, save for the artists mentioned under entry number one.

Grunge was all the rage. But it wasn’t for me. It sounded awful. I couldn’t understand why some artists were credible and some such as Hootie & The Blowfish were mocked, because as far as I was concerned it all sounded the same. Blur did come along with a quintessentially English album this year as a reaction to it, I’m sure. And that album ‘Modern Life’ very narrowly missed the list, as it is wonderful. Equally wonderful is the brave, bold and barmy ‘Giant Steps’. To even think of stealing Mr Coltrane’s album title you know they must have known they had something special. And special (for me) doesn’t even come close. Crunching grunge-y guitars aplenty, yes. But so much more. Beatle-esque melodies, Beach Boys like harmonies, and angelic vocals, none of this horrible snarl that I’d become too accustomed to.

This album is very possibly my favourite album of all time. A hundred ideas crammed in to 17 songs. Curse them then, for releasing Wake Up Boo. It damaged their credibility beyond repair, to the point that now, if any music lover says they like the Boo Radleys, chance are it’ll be greeted more with a snigger than a knowing smile..

Suede - Dog Man Star

Was I looking forward to Dog Man Star? Not really. I had Parklife, Definitely Maybe, The Holy Bible and Snivilisation all on regular rotation and didn’t think I’d have much time for it.

Thing is I liked Suede’s first album but din’t love it. 3 killer singles, yes. But the rest for me were average songs about Sleeping Pills and Pantomime Horses.

Dog Man Star was 20 times better and I was not expecting it. It’s also a rare album for me, in that, I truly believe every song on the album is slightly better than the last. It’s a concept album that builds and builds until the final ridiculous almost pompous track ‘Still Life’. A song so good I bet Andrew Lloyd Webber can’t believe he didn’t write it. That’s if he’s ever heard it. If he hasn’t he should. And so should you…


RS MF



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Many smiles....thanks